Thursday 12 April 2012

The Vegetarian or Not?

So, I have been a vegetarian for almost ten years, and for a 16 year old, that is a pretty long time. I became a veggie on Boxing Day at my grandparents house after we had eaten our meal. 
I'm not a vegetarian because of morals or any of that; I'm a vegetarian because I don't like the taste of meat. Yes, I've tried chicken since, and I still don't like it, but this doesn't make me a 'bad vegetarian'. I get labelled with that all of the time, but I'm not. 
I do sometimes eat fish, because I like the taste of it, especially in sushi. I guess I should really call myself a pescatarian but I only eat salmon and tuna sometimes and the rest only in sushi, so I find it easier to call myself a veggie!
You can't be a bad anything if you're doing something your way, some people say Damien Hirst is a 'bad artist' because of their OPINION and that is all it is. Opinion. 
It makes me really angry that people think that just because I'm a vegetarian I'll have really strong views on animals being farmed, however, even though I'm a veggie, it doesn't mean that I think I can change the world. Yeah I guess, because of veggies in general, less animals are being killed, but if I stop being a vegetarian it's isn't like the number of animals dying is going to elevate. As one person being a veggie, I'm not making a massive difference on my own. 
I'm not the kind of veggie that is going to start ranting at you to tell you to become a vegetarian, my mummy is one also and she didn't push it on me at all, she let me make my own decisions and I chose to be; although I do believe if she wasn't a veggie too, I would probably not have become one because I doubt there would have been much support.
I am proud of being a vegetarian but I am sick of people judging me on what I eat. So yeah, before you start saying how you think people can be good and bad vegetarians, think again, they could have better reasons for doing what they do than you may think. 
Thank you for reading,
Harri

No comments:

Post a Comment